When getting ready to make a big move, there will be many things on your to-do list (too many). The more you get done ahead of time, the easier it will be once moving day arrives.
With that in mind, we’ve created the ultimate moving checklist, so you can stay on schedule to get everything you need done on a timeline that will allow for the move to go smoothly.
Two Months Before
- Research the closest bank, doctor, walk in clinic, hospital, school, and grocery store in the new area you are moving to. Set up appointments if necessary.
- Ask relatives and friends for recommendations on a mover they had a positive experience with.
- Research recommended movers in the area (like us) and call to get a quote for your move. Make sure you work with a mover who has strong ratings to avoid disappointment.
- Look into moving insurance. Your moving company may provide it for an extra fee, otherwise, look into your homeowners insurance to see if it covers the move.
Six Weeks Before
- Decide on the mover you want to work with and book your move.
- Make a list of businesses and people you will need to update your address with (CRA, health card and driver’s license, insurance, friends and family, online profiles, etc.)
- Start going through your items and decide on things you want to donate or sell.
- Bring donation items to a charity, and start posting items to sell on EBay, Craigslist or Kijiji.
- Begin packing infrequently used items such as seasonal clothes, and anything in the basement or attic.
- Inform your cable, landline and internet provider about your upcoming move and book installation at your new home.
One Month Before
- Have a garage sale for any leftover items you still need to sell.
- Limit grocery shopping and make it a point to use up all the food in the fridge and pantry.
- Purchase all necessary moving supplies, including: boxes of various sizes, packing tape, bubble wrap, labels, packing paper, plastic wrap, mattress bag, wardrobe box.
- Decide on your box labeling system – go simple with just the name of the room, or stay organized with a numbered and colour coded system with an inventory list.
- Start packing items you won’t need before the move.
- Set up mail forwarding through Canada Post.
- Book off vacation time at your job for the days before and after your move.
Three Weeks Before
- Start updating your address with businesses and services via the list you made previously.
- Confirm everything with your mover and ensure any elevators are booked for moving day if necessary.
- Gather all valuable smaller items and paperwork. Pack separately and arrange to transport yourself during the move to ensure safety.
- Photograph any high value items and note any preexisting scratches or damage.
Two Weeks Before
- Arrange for any regular home delivery services to reroute to your new address.
- Pack everything you can except items you plan on using up until you move.
- Create a package of items such as warranties and instruction manuals for the new owners of your home, along with an address they can forward your mail to.
- Make sure any appliances you are moving are cleaned, defrosted and ready to go.
- Hire a cleaner to come in after you’ve moved and ensure the place is looking great for the new owners.
- Arrange for utilities to be turned off at your former home the day after your move, and turned on at your new home the day before your move.
One Week Before
- Pack an overnight bag with toiletries, prescriptions, comfortable clothing and anything you’ll need for those first few days at the new home.
- Check in with your movers one last time to reconfirm arrival time and any last minute details.
- Finish packing the last minute items you’ve still been using.
- Take out cash to have on hand to tip your movers and to cover any last minute expenses.